Tuesday, March 23, 2010

food: Brown Sugar Kitchen

Brown Sugar Kitchen

Today after taking K to Kaiser for an appointment, we headed off to West Oakland to try Brown Sugar Kitchen. I'd had some of their food at the open house for Central Station, but neither of us had been to the restaurant itself.

In short, the food was great. Chef/owner Tanya Holland has done something a lot of people like, because the place was packed even though it was a Tuesday at 11AM. We lucked out and got a parking place in front, and the last free table. K had the Baked Egg Tart (kinda like a meatless quiche) and I had the signature Cornmeal Waffles, which are served with brown sugar butter and apple cider syrup. Yum!

The food is prepared with "organic, local and hormone-free ingredients as much as possible". The coffee is roasted locally by Roast Coffee Company (based nearby in Emeryville). Well worth checking out next time you're out for breakfast or lunch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm wondering how I might contact with event information you might want to post on your blog? I can be reached at bsamuel@oaklandnet.com.
Thanks,
bryn

Unknown said...

I'll email you.